Thursday, August 26, 2010

THE list.

3 ring binder
loose leaf paper
graph paper
2 pkgs dividers
composition notebooks
folders
3 pronged folders
plastic pronged folders
assignment book
scissors
pencils and erasers
red pen
black pen
highlighters
4 pkg Expo dry erase markers
colored pencils
calculator TI 30X 11S
ruler
colors
classic markers
pencil bag with three rings for binder
craft box
glue
glue sticks
bottle of glue
lined index cards
germx
Clorox wipes
tissue
quart size ziplock bags


Extra optional list if you would like to:
band aids
construction paper
paper towels
extra glue sticks
ziplocks
germx
clorox wipes
the kitchen sink


THIS is a combined list of the things I have bought. In most cases I have bought a BUNCH of each. One child needed 7 compositions books, just one child. I have spent at least 4.9 bazillion dollars. Those dollars not including shoes or book bags. We don't do much back to school shopping (in the clothes category), good grief I am usually broke by that point.

I really KNOW school did not demand all these things when I was a child. I actually think we just "took stuff" and whatever happened to get there was good:)

I wondered today just how many people actually bought all this stuff? I do and I would like to whine ....and I rarely whine:)

I know it's not the teachers fault(although some lists are much "hugher" than others), but I sure wish when our school system was spending their money they would budget in school supplies!!


Oh Yeah....this is ONLY the middle school and elementary school list...high school coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. Yawn, Marsha, the going back to school stuff - that is so YESTERDAY for us!! (my kids started school august 6 - so I am past my back to school stuff shock)(grin - its HORRIBLE isnt it?!?) Hang in there!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, friend! I spent a KAJILLION $$$ and that didn't even include clothes and school FEES! I mean, come on, on top of school taxes being added to every monthly bill we pay, FEES?? And trust me, the high school fees were astronomical! How did we ever receive a proper education without these fees and supplies??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya and definitely feel for you and your wallet (and mine). The lists just get longer every year. I was just thinking the other day that the only thing I remember taking to school when I was young were crayons (everyone wanted to have the best, biggest pack haha) and once in 2nd grade I took a bottle of glue that leaked all over my bookbag and my teacher yelled at me and made me clean it up (traumatic memory). In Jr. High it was all about lots of notebook paper, pens, pencils - but I can't remember much else. I know that teachers also spend alot out of pocket and I don't think that's right either. We don't do much clothing shopping (besides new under clothes and shoes) so that helps, but I just don't know how people who "do it all at once" afford it.

    I also buy everything off the list and wonder about those people who don't. Does the teacher call them aside and ask when they'll be sending stuff in? I never want to risk the embarrassment or have a teacher ask my child when their mom is going to get off her butt and purchase those supplies (lol). I do buy in bulk and keep a stash of stuff here so when they need replacements (always more glue sticks and paper/pencils) I don't have to go pay full price during the year. The Walmart sales here are wonderful on the basics! My kids start after Labor Day so when they go, my storage room will be quite cleared out - lol.

    ReplyDelete