Thursday, September 16, 2010

All in a 24 hours


I love catching pictures like the one above. Sweet Lita watering in the backyard. This time of year is so nice, although the mornings are getting darker and it is a sure sign that Fall is quickly approaching.

I have had a full 24 hours. Aside from the normal stuff, there's been several personal time demanding, although understandable, requests.

One, a lady I have known trough facebook (through friends who know her) asked about adoption. I had to set aside my slight frustration as the comment "I want a mega family too". I have a large family, larger than most, but I have never regarded my family as "mega" or referred to us in that way. This is my family. Each child special, each unique and none ever added to achieve a "goal". That said, I overlooked the terminology issue and cut to the chase. I spent a while answering questions and giving advice. I sent her this profile and laughed (truly LAUGHED) when she asked if I was considering them or if she could send her homestuday. I told her I was DONE! But assured her they were for her and she submitted her application. I am ever so glad there are families that will look at those children and not gasp, faint or scream. They do need a mother and a father, they need a family. I hope all goes well.


Our minister called wanting me to talk with an adoptive mom and then potentially talk to her 21 year old (the "adopted" child) about her problems. I made that call and set that up. As I talked with this mom she talked about regret that she had not adopted more than one child. While she had birth children, she had found the adoption tough and it left her feeling somewhat unsuccessful. Perhaps another might have done well? I thought of families....birth or adopted....that do not have balance with their children. There is just no guarantees in this life, but we do have promises. It reminded me of our study of the book of John (the brother of Jesus). If ever there was a success story I think it would be John. He grew up with Jesus Christ yet did not believe until late (perhaps right before or after the crucifixion). He had what I would imagine is the perfect environment to be a successful Christain yet did not show initiative until he was older. The same is true of our children. There is ALWAYS hope that they can be saved, that they can turn and be faithful. Circumstances impact each persons life and I hope for my children who struggle, I hope that they find that perspective, they find that hope ....that they find the worth and the treasure of Jesus Christ (just like John!).

Then I had a call about us teaching/mentoring/fostering two girls whose parents are Chinese and they need English skills, desperately. Scott and I sat last night for over an hour with a translator working through the detail. SLOW...it will be slow and it might not work. I was reminded that while I cannot imagine the young child needing to actually live with us, the parents feel that if she had to speak she would learn. I see that. HUGE undertaking. Sarah is going to be tutoring the older daughter (who is 20) and helping the younger daughter with homework. We will try three days next week...see how it goes. This is a massive undertaking, before even considering we sat down with all 10 of the younger children (and Sarah) and talked at length about what it would entail. They all agreed, we actually excited. Sarah, lol..being Sarah, made them all sign a contract because she said, "The day will come when you don't want to anymore..." No one believed that could happen. I talked with Scott late last night and in truth our younger children have never "fostered" and it will be a positive experience. Perhaps...time will tell.

I talked with Chelsea for a long time yesterday (I LOVE that I can do that!). I whined (and I do that sometimes too) that I feel a little bad that I never seek out the "lost", I rarely "look for" those who need us...but when they call me on the phone, when they seek and find me? I feel such a sense of responsibility. I am careful about what I agree to do...I have to be, there's just one me. But, it is a seriously quandary. We studied last night in Bible class about our example (in 1Peter chapter 2) and how to go about our lives. This world is NOT my home, but it is well traveled in this life of mine. The paths are worn and the doors that open and close are constant. My prayer is that my path never becomes so weary that I refuse to answer a door!

No comments:

Post a Comment