
Last night the boys played the Blue team for the second night in a row. On Monday night they were even at half time and lost by 15 after they got into foul trouble.
Last night was Jacob's first night to solo coach. Scott is in Mississippi all week and was not there to help. Before I say anything about the game I want to say this...Jacob's behavior was exactly as a youth ball coach SHOULD be. The other Coaches jumped up and down with very non verbal language and very loud verbal language. Jacob sat on the bench, took advantage of the ton of time outs the other coach called and even called a few himself. He was encouraging and I am very proud of him!!!
As to the game? Our boys were down 18-2 in the first quarter. "Goliath" got into foul trouble and the coaches took him out for the second quarter. At half time we were up by 3 and the other team never took the lead again. We won 46-43. Our boys were even in foul trouble and our non-starting team played the last minute (that actually took more like TEN minutes to play). The game ended with Daniel holding the ball and, as Jacob said, giving some kid a piggy back ride:)
It is not the winning or losing that makes the game, it's the way you played. Well, last night the green team played hard! It was awfully sweet to have those kind of victories because this morning on the way to school we talked about how some things seem impossible and in the words of Michael, "But, they're not!". That is what I want the boys to take away...you may not always win but your effort always counts!!!
GREAT GAME boys!!!
I wish more parents had that attitude in youth sports. It is hard to find, at least in NY>
ReplyDelete