Mercedez walked through the kitchen, where Ryan was still eating and I was still standing, on her way to get her book bag. Behind her? Behind her was Bella who stopped at the table and picked up the bagel pieces to carry to the trash. "Is that your bagel??" I asked. Bella replied, "Yes." (She does it with eye-rolling and frustration seeping from her voice). Now, as a mom I took immediate notice. I let her go on her merry way, as she went and settled back in front of the fireplace.
All my kiddos were lined up to go to school, except the now returned Mercedez and Bella who should be sweating by now (still sitting on the hearth). I stopped and told Mercedez:
I am not "getting on to you" but I am lovingly telling you this so you do not make the same mistake in the future. It is perfectly fine to take up for someone, but not if you are misinformed. Bella waited until you went to your room to pick up the bagel on the table, the bagel that she said was hers. Bella allowed you to yell a lie. She allowed you to take up for her and I KNOW you were misinformed. But, if you did not see it? Especially if you are sitting beside her and she can answer....Let her talk for herself. You have to be very careful of the things you say. You have to be very careful of the person who said it. You have to guard that you are not pulled into a lie.
All my children listened, all understood. In my youth as a parent I never corrected "publicly". I felt tender esteems needed protection. Today? Today if it is a "public" issue, one that you have preformed in front of all? Then it is generally (there are exceptions) dealt with publicly(well in this case in front of nine siblings). This is in my opinion a life skill.
You (everyone) must not share information you do not KNOW is true. It happens all the time. It's called "lies and gossip". And it does not change if you are "gullible or believing"....it is still lies and gossip.... only then...you are truly responsible because you did not stop to check.
Over the weekend I was talking with my big girls. I am pretty sure that one of the leading causes/contributors to those who leave the church is indeed lies and gossip.
With that thought in mind...I stopped and had the conversation with Mercedez, sitting beside Isabella (and all my kids listening). We cannot allow lies and gossip into our homes. Well, if will likely make it's way there, but it better never go uncorrected!! We have to guard ourselves and we sure better be teaching those same safeguards to our children!
Amanda - I read your comment over on Cindy's blog today and I just wanted to say that I am so sorry you're facing this already. I haven't even been able to get the rtc for my son, despite about 2 years of fighting for it. I think in our case, they just keep putting us off until something horrible happens and then the help will just materialize. I'm glad you didn't have to wait that long, but seriously - what are you honestly supposed to do with a child who has no respect for you? This is so....huge to me. My son doesn't know the meaning of the word and his bio-sister (17 in april) is becoming just as ugly in her words and actions as he is. She was always very passive-aggressive, but now she's right in my face telling me she WON'T do what I ask (or until she's decided it's her idea - go figure). She has been so rude and disrespectful, like him. No one could ever convince me that they respect anyone. Love? Well, that's pretty subjective. They do probably love as much as they know how. Respect is so much more important though when you're parenting potentially violent kids. I'm so glad we stood firm and didn't put Daniel on HGH to help him grow. He's already growing fine enough on his own with adding that little cocktail to his body. The thing I am really concerned with is keeping my other kids safe. I feel like it cannot be about Daniel or Jess anymore - I've spent 15 yrs parenting them the best way I know how and now it's time to give the younger kids the stability and safety that the other kids always took for granted. I point out to them all the time that they didn't have anyone yelling at them or being negative or potentially violent towards them when they were this age or that but that they continually subject the younger kids to this insanity - doesn't matter when you don't care.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can keep your son in the rtc for as long as possible. If he cannot thrive with the structure and safe guards they have in place there, how in the world will he do better at home? I'm sure you could handle him just fine (not) if he were an "only child" but he's not, never will be, even in his bio-home he wouldn't have been. What we continually are reminded of is that my son's doctors are not the slightest bit concerned about our family and our safety, it's all about what is best for their patient. They seem much more concerned about how school is going than how often he's threatening to hurt his siblings - that is completely backwards to me.
Good luck and God Bless,
Lisa
What a lovely correction! All the information, the respectful tone, and your clear expectations. I am still a work in progress. Thanks for sharing
ReplyDelete