Saturday, November 14, 2009

Humbling Mom (making her eat her words)

I am a mean what I say person. It's true. Always has been and likely always will be. I yap on my little blog about life and my children. I hop up on my soapbox and I share my 2cents often. Sometimes it seems those pennies come flying back and knock me in the head! Today was one such day....

I blogged about ownership and respect this morning. I did actually mean everything I said. I think though it is sometimes implied (sometimes by me) that "my children would never do that!". Well, you can rest assured that it is in my ideal world that my children are perfect:) In this world? They make lots of mistakes (just like me).

I was gone last night to the play when a lady from church called and asked my John to come help her this morning. He agreed to be at her house at 8am. I did not know this. At 8:15 another lady from church called and asked if I had a big boy to come help her husband (who is 81) put the blades back on his lawn mower (meaning someone to do the lifting). I woke up Jacob and then John to go and help. Jacob got up and found two buddies to go with him because John never got out of bed. Jacob then went by to help the first lady but she was not at home so he came back to the house.

When lady number one called me she was complaining (nicely) about the my son not following through with his word and not showing up...the whole time I was thinking she meant Jacob. Even though she kept using John's name. She actually said to tell Jacob thank you for trying to help and John " __(she blew a raspberry)__". I hung up a bit confused, but Scott walked in and confirmed John was the actual absent helper.

He did not keep his word ...ownership and respect ran through my head. I talked to Scott and we both agreed to the consequence. Scott called John and explained our disappointment and that he needed to call or go by and apologize. A few hours later John asked for his girlfriend to come over. I questioned him about the apology, he said he left a message on her phone. I spent a long 10 minutes explaining my 25 minute call with the lady earlier. I explained that when she compared him to other lazy teens I could not help but be sad. We talked about giving your word, your example and finally about truly apologizing...a message would not do. As he left I reminded him about what his words "could be"....only could be..."I am so sorry.", "If you call me again I will keep my promise.", "It will not happen again"...and that there was NO excuse. Oversleeping is not an excuse, mostly because he did not try to make it right when he did wake up...

John went to her house...he apologized and took full ownership.

I can say that John never argued with me about the commitment. He did as I asked, respectfully. Meaning there is great hope for him in life (lol...there was actually great hope before he messed up today and certainly it's still there!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment