Thursday, June 3, 2010

Humbleness


Seth had his last scheduled game of the season. They had a great win. While watching Michael, Daniel and Ryan's game one of the coaches came by and told Seth he had made the all star team and he would be calling him later. He said this as Seth was standing with his school friend Jase (who came over and watched the ballgames with us). On the way home, Seth said, "I sure do love all stars!". Scott and I talked about how much we love baseball. All Stars players are chosen on ability, and with our sweet Micheal in the van and Jase we realized the conversation needed to be encouraging to all our players so we talked about how great baseball was to play and watch. Jase listening asked, "How do you get on the All Stars team?" Scott did not reply, I didn't either, in the midst of our "hum, how do you describe that nicely" thoughts Seth answered and I had to smile so very pleased with his answer.

"Well, first you have to be on a good team, then you have to try your very hardest and never ever give up. And when you make mistakes? Just know everyone does and just keep trying your hardest!"


Jase nodded as though that made perfect sense and I was in awe of the humbleness of this little guy of mine. I love sports. I love sports done well, the kind of strength of character that does come from doing your best and feeling good about it! I love coaches who give positive input and build in young players the attitudes that make them great individuals and good teammates! Seth is the product of sports done well....he loves the game and it brings out the very best in him!

2 comments:

  1. The great thing is that he probably had no thought of thinking of the right thing to say, but rather just expressed his sincere feelings about All Stars. He sounds like a GREAT baseball player, not because of all stars, but because of attitude.

    ReplyDelete