I took Mercedez at 6:30 this morning to meet her squad to pack and leave for camp. She was up and waiting on the couch for me when I walked through the house this morning. A big sign of "growing up". I love seeing those skills, the ability to schedule and prepare. She packed her bags all by herself. As I asked the "do you have...." well, "do you have....." how about "do you have....." She did, she had it all:)
Mercedez and I took some time this morning talking about problem solving and attitude and plain old "being nice". I told her while her sister made a comment that cheerleaders were "yappy"...the bottom line is simple....GIRLS are yappy (no matter where they are!). We talked positively about being who we CHOOSE to be.
I cannot say enough good things about her team sponsor. Ms. Herrington is as fine a lady as they come. She has such a beautiful Christian spirit! Her preacher came out while we were standing around this morning and asked to lead a prayer on behalf of the girls. I LOVE living in a small town. I sat on the porch talking with Scott after I returned home and said, "I love living here. Even if someone had a problem with the prayer, no one said anything. All gathered around and all held hands and all were blessed by well spoken words." Scott said and it really is true of our community, "Most people do believe in God, they just don't practice it everyday." I KNOW there are places in this world where a Christian cannot live freely. I know there is persecution and hardship that comes to some for simply obeying the Lord. But, today, right now, it is NOT in the place I live. I am ever so thankful!!
I drove away thins morning anxiously looking forward to the conversation coming on Thursday when I hear all about the week:)
PS...Isn't this quote neat? This was on the back of the girls team T-shirts today as they left...very nice thought to begin the week on!
I always love driving my kids home after events like this one, when they bubble over with stories.
ReplyDeleteI read an interesting book "The Shattered Lantern" that talks about those fallen from the church. There was an interesting bit about how people who say they don't believe in God will say they believe in a "something" when you describe God. It's just that they've had some bad experience of what someone else called God. I do think it's lovely when people can share a heart-felt prayer together.