Friday, July 23, 2010

BIG Green Monster and more...











I have been MIA...truly missing but in serious action:) Our church had VBS this week. We averaged 400 a day...that's really a whole bunch of kids! In the middle of VBS Scott and Doug (along with some little boy help) revamped our ball field and built a big green monster (much like and much not like Boston's). Lastly, Scott and I traveled Wednesday afternoon to Murfreesboro. We were able to have dinner with Scott's parents and his little sister Janet:) I really don't know when we have done that without kids...maybe never? It was nice sitting in Scott's parents sun room and visiting peacefully. We went to bed early. Scott declaring he got more sleep than he can remember in one night:) We were up early and enjoyed a breakfast of the best fritters (Scott's) and maple roll (mine) in the whole world....thanks to Pa!

We arrived at Sam's RTC to find out he was on the unit (for serious problems meaning he was no longer "outside" and doing alright). He through a maul after getting mad at peer he was working with. It was a hard session. Hard to know what to say, what to encourage, what will make a difference? At one point the worker asked Scott and I, "Have your sessions always been like this?" Meaning us talking to Sam about his choices, about how to ignore negativity, how to be successful....our answer was "yes". For the last 4 years we have been in treatment and setting where the prime objective is the same as today...choices....GOOD choices. Kinda like a bad dream you relive, only we are now desynthesized to so much of it. We can very diplomatically sit and talk about the issues and they do not carry us away emotionally. In a way that is extremely sad. In another it's simply a life skill we have learned.

Happily we were able to talk to Stuart and he met us for lunch and the afternoon. What a joy! What a huge afternoon of polar opposites: Sam at one end and Stuart at the other. Surprisingly (because Stuart is so neat) the afternoon went really well. Another unusual day, rarely do Scott and i both get to be together on visits. We generally have to tag team. Thanks to my sweet and very capable Sarah we were able to be way together. Sarah also had brother support with John, Jake and Doug:) Once again having me say "I love my big kids!!" Scott and I rolled home bout 10 pm, Sarah had movie night rolling so I sat down to watch the end of Elf (a funny to watch in the middle so summer movie...but still cute). My house was asleep but 11:30 and are all still laying in bed this morning:)

The end of our long week coming to a close. This weekend looks busy too, but good busy. Mercedez, Tahsa,Lita and Michael are all going to church camp with Chelsea and Bo. A BIG privilege and very exciting for those who earned it! More of that later!

3 comments:

  1. Praying for Sam. Glad you got away together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to go away together! I really don't know what to say about Sam - I'm sure you've heard it all by now. I am thankful he is not at home right now, continuing to make his poor choices and traumatizing his siblings in the process. I'm glad he is somewhere he can work on his issues as much as he's able with professionals who are committed to specifically treating him and those issues. I do grieve for the futures of Sam and all kids like him (I have a few) because they seem to never know true happiness or the joy in the world God has given us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I do grieve for the futures of Sam and all kids like him (I have a few) because they seem to never know true happiness or the joy in the world God has given us."

    Lisa, YOU nailed it with this comment. Satisfaction is such a blessing! In the case of some of mine they will search and search but never find that happiness and joy that IS IN God, not man or man-made things!

    ReplyDelete