Treasures come in so many different shapes and sizes. They also come in the tangible and intangible.
A treasure can be the shells my children picked up all day at the rocky beach:
Or it can be the memory of the being together in the moment, of the silly conversations such as this:
Mercedez: Why do all those men have on orange? They can't hunt here!
Tasha:That shows how smart you are!
Mercedez: Well you know they do have to wear orange to hunt!
*You have to keep in mind that other people wear orange. Like perhaps the prisoners when they come to Pickwick to pick up trash:)
Lol:) And Mercedez looks so normal:
Treasures can also be found in little moments like this when my directionally challenged children think they know which way we are going:
Me: We're headed South.
Mercedez: Toward Crump and Adamsville
Tasha: That's NOT South Mercedez (me nodding as the truth of Tasha's comment...until she continued) That's NORTH!
Me laughing: That's neither north or south girls, it's WEST!
While they may all use GPS's someday it makes me think of the Velcro generation who could not tie their shoes. Convenience has it's place, but there has to be general knowledge. I threatened to stop and buy a map to which Mercedez said, "Oh mom, we aren't in school, it's Spring Break" Good thing mom is driving cause they will never make it anywhere with their sense of direction! Shoe tying and map reading are among the things I think everyone needs to be able to do.
To me the things I hold in my mind are the best treasures, my memories. I can carry them with me always. They don't take up extra space in the suitcase and I always have room for more.
I sat at the lake today at picnic table writing. The sun was shining and the wind brought conversations to my ears. My children are really funny. I listened to voices tell of fishes found, turtles named Bob, rocks skipped, sand holes, shells...all treasures to me.
I could be anywhere in the world and it would be a joy to have my kids with me (the humor is always priceless). If your treasure is where your heart is...mine is so deeply entrenched in my family:)
Oh, but, Amanda, that GPS is so needed when you are looking for a craft shop in a kind of strange town and you forgot and left the GPS at home!
ReplyDeletelol:) Time and place...everything has a time and place. Even GPS's!!
ReplyDelete