Sunday, January 30, 2011

Changing hearts?

I had a mom ask how you change attitudes, hearts, opinions of children with low self-esteem? I wish I knew!! As mom's we want to fix everything...I think it goes with the job description. I am not so interested in changing personalities (that's what make my kids so unique!!), but attitudes that lead to negative life choices? They are the focus, always!

I know we need to spend our time trying to strengthen relationships. I LOVE communication. I am a talker. I would like to think I'm a listener too. I find the toughest kids, for me personally, are those who have trouble expressing their feelings. I want my children to be able to talk to me. I have told them (and it is NO secret) that I make LOTS of mistakes. But, if I am aware? If I know it offends? I will do my very best to change. I seemingly have a couple would rather lament in private about all my shortcomings and not try to seek change. Isn't that irritating?

Who doesn't want a better life? Who doesn't want positive things in their life? Who doesn't want to be happy? Well, believe it or not...some people CHOOSE to be bitter, sad and unhappy. THAT makes me sad for them. I realize that they have great power in their lives, the power to live as they choose, but they choose badly!

My sweet friend Jill posted this today....

I discovered I always have choices and sometimes it's only a choice of attitude.


Choices ARE available, the ability to make adjustments. But, for Kelly? I think sometimes our children are seriously handicapped by early childhood (well, negative early childhood events). In those cases? Counseling. Help. I do have some situations where children talk. In those cases, we are sometimes able to talk through thinking errors (like I'm the bad kid). I think those situations are wonderful. But, if you can't find that opening? Seek a third party with resources that are simply above and beyond. We have an incredible therapist who works so well with our family and it's strengths and weaknesses. Has he been able to help every child we take to him? Nah. Why not? That same of thing that make changes possible...CHOICE!

You have to want to change (no matter the age!)!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your response. I DO think Jackson wants to change. He just gets so caught up in his struggles to control and the fear and anger that go along with feeling that control failing, that nothing else matters at those times. But, that desire to change and be happy is all the hope I need. He will heal from his past. I.just.know.it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm a sweet friend! Great post, Amanda...as always!

    ReplyDelete