I have a handful of great readers. In those children the grades are higher as well as knowledge and understanding. Reading truly opens the world to new thoughts and ideas. While I have had some great readers I rarely have readers like Rosie:) I took this today of Rosie....reading the dictionary....for longer than 20 minutes! lol:)
I laugh, but her vocabulary sure does show. After blowing out cake the other day Doug was telling some tale and Tasha who was sitting across from him said, "You're talking with your hands". Rosie, who was sitting at the table too, said, "He's gesturing." I smiled and watched both Doug and Tasha say "What?!" She defined it for them and never broke a smile. I love that! I do have quirky kids and in Rosie? That quirkiness will give her an edge (lol...certainly with words) that the others do not. Kind of a "reap what you sow" gift!
Love these quotes about readers:
“The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination.” Elizabeth Hardwick
“Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.” Joseph Addison
“You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.” Ray Bradbury
You know how I feel about reading, friend! How I love to see kids losing themselves in the pages! I also loved your quotes and if I may add a couple?
ReplyDelete“We read to know we are not alone.” ~ C.S. Lewis
And in the incomparable words of Dr. Seuss,
"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”